Candidates pursuing their studies or research in areas such as social and human sciences, economic and management sciences, natural and applied sciences and engineering and technology may apply ( OPEN FOR ALL DISCIPLINES).
- Only available to unemployed full-time student
- Open to South African and international students, but preference will be given to all South African citizens who qualify
- TUT Scholarship will only be awarded in the first year of study (All students are expected to apply for external scholarships for the second, third or fourth year of their studies).
- Students will only be considered for a second year of funding in exceptional cases and where evidence of rejection by the external funder has been presented
- Students must have obtained a minimum average of 65% in their previous studies to qualify for a scholarship (in deserving cases, the FCRI may motivate for South African students who obtained an average of 60%- 64% to receive scholarships)
- Must comply with in-house faculty criteria
- Not for a second Master’s or Doctoral degree
- Not for students doing their third year of Master’s or fourth year of Doctoral studies
- Students must be prepared to sign an agreement with the institution and adhere to the submission date of the full proposal and completion of degree
- Students who receive government scholarships (e.g., NRF, MRC, Mandela-Rhodes, TUT-CSIR, etc.) only qualify for a top-up as stipulated in the agreement of the external funder. However, faculties may pay for their tuition as an incentive rewarding their efforts of securing external funding
- Faculties and departments may top up non-governmental scholarships with FCRI or DCRI funding, but the amount should not exceed R200 000 per annum (top-up can range from R10 000 to maximum R20000 per student per annum)
- Students may be appointed on a 12-hour basis as postgraduate teaching assistants (PGTAs), but only six hours may be contact tutoring or lecturing.
Value of scholarships
• Master’s degree: R50 000 per annum (tuition fees included) for one year only.
•Doctoral degree: R70 000 per annum (tuition fees excluded) for one year only (faculty will pay first year’s tuition fees)
- Please contact the faculty to ensure that the relevant postgraduate degree is available before applying.
Application forms can be obtained from the department or the faculty research officers.
Incomplete application forms will not be processed.
TUT Postgraduate Scholarship 2015,Directorate of Research and Innovation Adapted from NRF application form.