Canon Collins Trust is inviting applications for Patrick and Janet Stuart postgraduate scholarship for students from Lesotho. In 2016 most awards will be valued at R65,000 for each year of study at Masters and PhD level. In exceptional cases we may offer up to R100,000 per year. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning. The application deadline is 27 July 2015.
Study Subject(s): Scholarship is provided in Justice, which includes Law, Economics, Politics and the Environment, Education policy and practice and Humanities, which includes Literature, History, Anthropology and the Arts at South African university.
Course Level: Scholarship is available for pursuing postgraduate degree level at a South African university.
Scholarship Provider: Canon Collins Trust
Scholarship can be taken at: South Africa
Eligibility: Applicants must be:
– nationals of Lesotho
– normally resident in Lesotho
– in possession of a good first degree, with a minimum grade of a 2:1, or upper second;
– seeking this scholarship for postgraduate study at Masters or doctoral level;
– registered to study or wish to study at a South African university;
-studying one of the subjects listed above.
Scholarship Open for International Students: The students of Lesotho can apply for the scholarship.
Scholarship Description: Canon Collins Trust is delighted to offer one scholarship each year in the name of Patrick and Janet Stuart. This is available for students from Lesotho to study at postgraduate level at a South African university.
Number of award(s): One scholarship is offered.
Duration of award(s): The funding is for up to a maximum of two years for Masters and three years for PhD.
What does it cover? In 2016 most awards will be valued at R65,000 for each year of study at Masters and PhD level. In exceptional cases we may offer up to R100,000 per year. We support both full and part-time study and will consider applications from those who wish to study by distance learning.
1. Academic Record and References: Applicants should have a minimum of an upper second-class (merit) undergraduate or Honours degree and excellent references. The Patrick and Janet Stuart Scholarship 2016 Application Guidelines
2. Future impact: All applicants need to articulate how they intend to put their scholarship into action and how the course will enable them to make an enhanced contribution to their community or country.
3. Work Experience: We favour applications where there is a demonstrable continuity between applicant’s past study and career and their proposed course of study.
4. Leadership Competencies: Applicants will be asked to demonstrate how they have developed their leadership skills in the workplace, academia or in their personal life. Priority will be given to those who can describe an occasion/s in which they have used their skills to formulate a shared vision or strategy, build strategic relationships and networks, support peers and mentor others, and/or deliver results. Canon Collins places a great deal of emphasis upon the leadership potential of individuals.
5. Commitment to Country/Community: We will favour applicants who most clearly show a desire to be part of and to contribute to the future prosperity of southern Africa.
Notification: All notifications will be by email so please make sure you provide an accurate email address. We will be interviewing shortlisted applicants by telephone in October 2015. We will let you know the outcome of your application in November 2015.
How to Apply: When we are open for applications you will be able to access the online application form. You will find full instructions online when you start a new form. Please do not type in block capitals. All sections of the form need to be complete before the system will allow the application form to be submitted. Information can be saved and the application form edited until the applicant chooses to submit. All applicants are required to upload the following supporting documentation: The Patrick and Janet Stuart Scholarship 2016 Application Guidelines
-Copy of degree certificates, if available
-Certified academic transcripts
-Reference letters from two referees
– ID document (the following are acceptable: passport, birth certificate, driver’s license) You may also need to submit:
-Proof of refugee status, if applicable
-Two recent payslips, if currently employed
-PhD proposal if applicable
Scholarship Application Deadline: The application deadline is 27 July 2015.