2015 National Research Foundation Innovation Masters and Doctoral Bursary Awards

School(Institutions/ Country): public universities in South Africa

Level: postgraduate studies

Field(s): Scholarships are awarded to study the following subjects: Biotechnology; Cellular and Molecular Biology; Engineering; Computer science; Physics; Astronomy; Mathematical Sciences; Nanotechnology; Chemistry; Earth Science; Ecology; Medical sciences; and Social Sciences and Humanities.

Deadline: 7 August 2015

Value of Scholarship : Masters Scholarships R80 000 per annum

-Doctoral Scholarships R110 000 per annum

In addition, Masters scholarship-holders may apply for a travel grant of up to R10 000 which can be used to attend local conferences, workshops, a visit to a laboratory or, any other activity that supports the beneficiaries’ current research progression. This is the maximum amount allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.

Doctoral scholarship-holders may apply for a travel grant of up to R15 000, for local travel, and up to R50 000, for international travel. These funds may be used to attend local conferences, workshops, visits to a laboratory or, any other activity that supports the beneficiaries’ current research progression. These are the maximum amounts allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.

Description

‣ The Innovation Masters and Doctoral funding instruments are part of the Innovation Bursary Scheme (IBS) funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and managed by the National Research Foundation (NRF).

‣ The IBS aims to broaden the frontiers of knowledge in innovation areas and to build the PhD pipeline for a knowledgebased economy. Under the IBS, funding is made available for qualifying Honours’, Masters and Doctoral students registered at public universities in South Africa.

‣ The Honours’ bursaries are awarded to universities as a block grant for universities to nominate qualifying candidates to the NRF. Applications for free-standing Innovation Masters and Doctoral bursaries must be made by students on the NRF on-line application system.

‣ The eligibility criteria listed below applies to applicants for Masters and Doctoral bursaries:

‣ Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships are open to South African citizens, South African permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of non-South African citizens registered at a South African public university.

‣ All applicants’ for full-time Masters or Doctoral studies in South Africa must be registered or, intending to register at a South African public university;;

‣ Applicants that already hold a degree at the level for which they are applying for funding, are not eligible.

Selection Criteria for Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships

‣ The following will be considered in evaluating all applications in a competitive merit review process:

• The applicant’s past, current and potential academic performance. This will be measured by the applicant’s:
  • The potential of the applicant to undertake an independent research project;
  • Leadership roles;
  • Previous awards, prizes and honours; and
  • The potential research outputs and impact.
  • The feasibility and merit of the applicant’s research project proposal;
  • Identification of a suitable supervisor and co-supervisor, where applicable;
  • Support from the identified supervisor and referees.

Scholarship Application Method

‣ Method of application: Applicants may apply by following the steps below:

• Applications must be submitted through an online application process to the NRF.
  • Applicants must apply for the 2016 NRF Innovation Masters or Doctoral Scholarship
  • Register / Login using your ID number and password.
  • Go to “My Applications” and select “Create Application”.
  • Select the call for which you are applying to viz. NRF- Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarship Call for 2016.
  • Remember to complete all compulsory sections of the application as incomplete applications will not be considered for support by the NRF.
  • Please attach the necessary documents in one PDF file in the following order: ID document, proof of permanent residence (if applicable) and certified academic transcripts. Should you not follow the guidelines for attaching the necessary documents, your application will not be considered.
  • Remember to submit your application on completion.
  • Complete applications will be directed to the host university for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the university has approved the application and forwarded it to the NRF.
  • Incomplete applications will not be considered.
  • Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered
  • Please contact the university postgraduate office or research office if you have any queries.
  • The closing date for submitting applications is 7 August 2015.
  • Please take note of your institutions internal closing dates as these will be set before the actual call closing date.

Application Deadlines

‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 7 August 2015.

‣ Application forms ( Application Form ) and guidelines can be download from the official website

‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.

For more Information about Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships

1. Sherefedin Hussen

July 15, 2015 at 6:24 AM

Hello my name is Sherefedin Hussen from Ethopiya i studing clinical pharmacy 1st year student i intersting scolarship plase help me call +215924830578,tanks.

2. Ashenafi Mezgebe

July 15, 2015 at 6:26 AM

Am Ashenafi Mezgebe from ethiopia i have graduated by physics in diploma level so i want to study in your university please contact me by facebook or by +251914571341

3. getasew mulu

July 15, 2015 at 7:26 AM

i hv a CGPA 3.5 in bsc Biology so i went to enjoy by zs scholarship by msc ecology pls help

4. Abdirashid Ali

July 15, 2015 at 6:56 AM

Hello my Abdirashid Ali from hargeisa somalia . Iam so interesting your deadline programme scholarship . Just I completed high science secondary school and this programme is my dream become true. Please join it by contact to me 00252634577453 Cabdirashiid1436@hotmail.com Cabdirashiid12319@gmail.com

5. Iftikaar Mohamed

July 15, 2015 at 7:00 AM

hi my names hanaan iam from somalia iam study public health officer second year please help me this chance contact me email hanaani777@gmail.comor my phasebook or my phone 2520634549378 thanks alot

6. Henok Demissie

July 15, 2015 at 7:20 AM

Hello Dears I studied B.Ed program in Health and physical Education and minor Biology, I am interested to study one of these programs, You are free to contact me Henok Demissie from Ethiopia heya2j@gmail.com +251 922 59 77 00

7. Mikidadi Mtongola

July 15, 2015 at 7:33 AM

Hello,am Tanzanian and would prefer studying doctor of medicine or bachelor of pharmacy,+255715425641, mickdidi90@gmail.com

8. Ali Ismael Mohamed

July 15, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Frist I m gteating u after greating, my name is ismail ali mohamed, I live somalia specially the capital of muqdisho, I interest to get this chance of scholarship please contact my email: ismaloveflower@hotmail.com n # 00252618002077 thanks the oppurtunity.

9. Yaser Ataie

July 15, 2015 at 9:32 AM

HI SIR . . My Name Is YASER ATAIE From Afghanistan . I Want A Free Scholarship About BCS . Thanks So Much . . My Contact Num : +93794754082 My Email : yaserataie123@gmail.com thanks So Much . . .

10. abdiqani

July 15, 2015 at 12:58 PM

i need this scholarship i completed in nursing so now ineed melocular biology plz contact me

11. Muluken Abebe

July 16, 2015 at 8:24 AM

I Muluken abebe from Ethiopia I am interesting I got the chance to join the university Bsc holder from jimma ethiopia

12. Nigus Getinet

July 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Hello Dears,My name is Nigus Getinet from Ethiopia.I studied B.Ed in History&civic&Ethical Educcation in A.A.U.I am interested to study one of this program of M.A.My contact is 251910456750.Thanks

13. Eshetie

July 16, 2015 at 1:20 PM

i have first degree in water resource and irrigation management.i want to join your university please contact me +251-914822679

14. Abdirahman Adem

July 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM

hi my name is abdirahman i am somalia i am very entersty for schoolship if posible contct me 00252615835549

15. Getnet Gashaw

July 16, 2015 at 3:01 PM

My name is Getnet Gashaw,i have studied Biology from one of Ethiopian University,I want to study Biotechnology in ur University.can u contact me through my phone or email please? email getnetgashaw@gmail.com or phone number +251925534606.Thank you!

16. Tom Jerry

July 16, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Hello Am hiwot birhanu from ethiopia iam intersting deadline programe scholarship contact to me +251918086635

17. Lemitchomboto Aman

July 16, 2015 at 3:39 PM

i’m olso very interested for more information contact me in +25775577025 or in lemitchombotoaman@gmail.com

18. Amy Musa

July 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM

My name is Amal Mustafa i from Somali am interesting deadline program scholarship contact to me +252634057070

19. Nasraa Yousof

July 16, 2015 at 5:10 PM

My name Nasraa Yousof I live in Somalia and I want to study the Scolarship please contact me + 252634749550

20. Celestino Pastola

July 16, 2015 at 5:50 PM

I live in Maputo here is my contact: pastolacelestino@gmail.com +258847091489 +258826042961 i’m Gonna be waiting for help!

21. Messi Minwagaw

July 16, 2015 at 9:56 PM

hello my name is mesafint minwagaw and i am from ethiopia.i want to apply please contact me in mesafintminwagaw@gmail.com

22. Katlego motlhanke

July 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM

I will like to join your university scholarship.but i have only metric certificate i was doing agricultural since

23. Getu Zerfu

July 18, 2015 at 7:58 PM

My name is getu zerfu,i have first degree by chemistry from one of ethiopian university..now I want to continue by ms…so I need your support,pleas help me

24. kevin wamalwa

January 3, 2016 at 12:06 PM

HELLO! I AM A HOLDER OF MSC. CHEMISTRY-ANALYTICAL FROM UNIVERSITY OF ELDORET, KENYA. I AM INTERESTED IN PURSUING PhD IN ENVIRONMENTAL AND ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY AND WOULD APPRECIATE IF I MAY GET SCHOLARSHIP FUNDING FOR THE SAME.