School(Institutions/ Country): public universities in South Africa
Level: postgraduate studies
Field(s): Scholarships are awarded to study the following subjects: Biotechnology; Cellular and Molecular Biology; Engineering; Computer science; Physics; Astronomy; Mathematical Sciences; Nanotechnology; Chemistry; Earth Science; Ecology; Medical sciences; and Social Sciences and Humanities.
Deadline: 7 August 2015
Value of Scholarship : Masters Scholarships R80 000 per annum
-Doctoral Scholarships R110 000 per annum
In addition, Masters scholarship-holders may apply for a travel grant of up to R10 000 which can be used to attend local conferences, workshops, a visit to a laboratory or, any other activity that supports the beneficiaries’ current research progression. This is the maximum amount allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.
Doctoral scholarship-holders may apply for a travel grant of up to R15 000, for local travel, and up to R50 000, for international travel. These funds may be used to attend local conferences, workshops, visits to a laboratory or, any other activity that supports the beneficiaries’ current research progression. These are the maximum amounts allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.
‣ The Innovation Masters and Doctoral funding instruments are part of the Innovation Bursary Scheme (IBS) funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and managed by the National Research Foundation (NRF).
‣ The IBS aims to broaden the frontiers of knowledge in innovation areas and to build the PhD pipeline for a knowledgebased economy. Under the IBS, funding is made available for qualifying Honours’, Masters and Doctoral students registered at public universities in South Africa.
‣ The Honours’ bursaries are awarded to universities as a block grant for universities to nominate qualifying candidates to the NRF. Applications for free-standing Innovation Masters and Doctoral bursaries must be made by students on the NRF on-line application system.
‣ The eligibility criteria listed below applies to applicants for Masters and Doctoral bursaries:
‣ Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships are open to South African citizens, South African permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of non-South African citizens registered at a South African public university.
‣ All applicants’ for full-time Masters or Doctoral studies in South Africa must be registered or, intending to register at a South African public university;;
‣ Applicants that already hold a degree at the level for which they are applying for funding, are not eligible.
Selection Criteria for Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships
‣ The following will be considered in evaluating all applications in a competitive merit review process:
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Method of application: Applicants may apply by following the steps below:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 7 August 2015.
‣ Application forms ( Application Form ) and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.