Apply For 2016 Bertha Postgraduate Scholarships For African Students

Bertha Scholarships

Application Deadline: December 15th 2015

The Bertha Scholarships were created to nurture a new generation of social innovators, and to explore entrepreneurial solutions to help solve some of the urgent social and environmental problems of our time. The combination of scholarship, geographic location and leading academic content in emerging markets provides a unique opportunity for the most talented and innovative students.

The Bertha Scholars are Africa-based social innovators with a commitment and track record to creating positive change.

Scholarships

The Bertha Scholarship covers full and partial costs of the MBA at the UCT Graduate School of Business for candidates committed to social innovation and entrepreneurship.

The Graduate School of Business at UCT offers up to five Bertha full or partial MBA Scholarships to students that have met the requirements for the MBA programme and who are driven by their pursuit of social and environmental change.

In 2016, the Bertha Scholarships will allocate three of the five scholarships along its key focus areas:

• Innovative Financesocial finance and impact investing
  • Inclusive Healthcare Innovationinnovations in healthcare delivery
  • Education Innovationsinnovations that improve quality and access to education

Eligibility:

The criteria used for selection of Bertha Scholars are:

1. Candidates must be South African / African Citizens and a Permanent Resident for at least 1 year.
  2. Candidates must have started or worked in an entrepreneurial or social venture, or have worked on a socially innovative or sustainable strategies within an organisation for at least one year. Should you be interested in one of the focus areas, experience in these fields would be preferable, as well as a track record of exploring or initiating innovative approaches in these sectors.
  3. Candidates must demonstrate a strong moral character, strong entrepreneurial drive, a track record of action, leadership qualities, traits of social activism and a commitment to the sustainable development of emerging economies.
  4. Through the submission of an essay, candidates must show how the MBA at this stage in their career will help to accelerate their impact and how it will contribute to the wider creation of value for society.
  5. Candidates must demonstrate some need for the scholarship, through either previous work experience, personal background or demonstrated commitment to start a social venture, which make self-funding the MBA a significant burden.

How to Apply:

1. Candidates must first be eligible and apply for the MBA programme at the UCT Graduate School of Business. For full details about the MBA programme, eligibility, criteria and how to apply to the business school click here.
  2. Interested candidates should submit the Bertha Scholarship Application Form together with their UCT MBA application number received from the GSB Admissions Office, contact details and CV.
  3. Candidates are then notified if they are selected for an interview.
  4. The final decision and award of the scholarship will be made by a Scholarship selection panel, following which candidates will be informed by mid December 2015. Candidates will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if successfully admitted to the UCT GSB MBA programme.
MPhil Scholarships

The Bertha Scholarship covers full and partial costs of the MPhil programme in Inclusive Innovation Studies at the UCT Graduate School of Business for candidates committed to social innovation.

The MPhil is a one year full-time programme run at the GSB through the Bertha Centre. Applications are open to register for an MPhil degree for 2015 with a range of expert faculty for students interested in Inclusive Innovation Studies.

How to Apply:

1. Interested candidates should submit the Bertha Scholarship Application Form together with their UCT student number received from the application process, contact details and CV.
  2. Candidates are then notified if they are selected for an interview.
  3. The final decision and award of the scholarship will be made by a selection panel, following which candidates will be informed. Candidates will only be able to take up the Bertha Scholarship if successfully admitted to the MPhil programme.

For More Information:

Visit the Official Webpage of the Bertha Center for Social Innovation Scholarships

1. Hbtamu Terefe Mesellu

August 21, 2015 at 9:40 AM

I have BA degree in Dilla Universty and I went to learn MA degree please help me my phone is +251921289102 call me

2. B

August 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM

MY NAME IS BINALF TESHOME I HAVE BSC DEGREEIN SPORT SCIENCE FROM ETHIOPI I WOULD LIK TO CONTINUE MY MASTERS DEGREE FROM YOUR COUNTRY PHON +251 9 18 57 75 52

3. Lalisa Amenu

August 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM

my name is Lalisa Amenu from Ethiopia , I have Bsc in agricultural resources economic and management I wents to study my Msc in your university please help me as much as possible.

4. Tesfa Bantayehu Melese

August 22, 2015 at 5:20 AM

May Name Is Tesafa Bantayehu Melese I Have BA Degree In Accounting and Finance From AdisAbaba University In Ethiopia At This Time IHave Been Work At Commercial Bank Of Ethiopia But I Want To Study MBA So Please Give AChance As Soon As Posible I Would Like To Thank In Advance To Give This Opportunity Tesfa From Ethiopia

5. eshetie zewdu

August 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM

i have first degree in water resource and irrigation management please contact me +251-914822679

6. hassan mohamoud

August 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM

my names hassan mohamoud i have diploma in primary teacher education how i get scholarship

7. hassan mohamoud

August 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM

my names hassan mohamoud my number is 00251933903430 i have diploma in primary teacher education how i get scholarship

• Maymun

August 24, 2015 at 10:26 AM

My name is Maymun, I have bechollar degree of nursing so how I can get master degree.

8. Yohannes Derese

August 25, 2015 at 4:49 PM

My name is Yohannes Derse from Ethiopia I went to get scholarship, I have to graduates from Axum Ethiopian University by Civil Engineerng. my phone number +251934419393.

9. my name is Henok Biresaw Mekonenn

August 28, 2015 at 9:11 AM

hello sir ! I am 4 year engineering student,so plece contact in +251918404016.

10. Mohammed Ahmed

August 29, 2015 at 5:31 PM

My name is Mohammed Ahmed I have BA degree in sociology and Social work from Ambo University in Ethiopia. I am very interest to follow this scholarship pls give me this chance pls contact me by this phone No +251920456815 mamexiqo@yahoo.com

11. simon sisay

September 1, 2015 at 6:48 AM

My name is simon sisay I have BA degree in mathematics from Harmaya university in Etiopia at this time I have work at education office but I want to study master of science. Msc so please give a chance as soon as possible I would like to thank in advance to give this opportunity simon from Etiopia

12. Atsede Geta

September 3, 2015 at 9:42 AM

hi sir/madam!i am Atsede Geta from Ethiopia i have LLB degree i would like to study masters please contact me in my email address getaatsede@gmail.com&my cell phone +251925986970.thank you!

13. hirpa

September 3, 2015 at 2:08 PM

my name is Hirpa Tareke I have BA degree in Management from recognized university in Ethiopia I want to join MBA program in your unuversity and looking forward to hear from you. my address is as follow email oftanenus430@gmail.com phone number 00251929013847 or 00251929013847

14. mohamed

September 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM

i like

15. mohamed

September 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM

l like it

16. khadar hussein mo

September 15, 2015 at 7:05 AM

ineed scholarship please help me

17. Roba Kuma

September 15, 2015 at 7:10 AM

hello; this is Roba Kuma fro Ethiopia. i were graduated from Haromaya University from department of public health in becholar degree.i served the community for two years as head or leader of the health facility.so i want to apply to your institution for my master program in any health related courses.so please contact me via my address robilove@live.com or +251943134040. thank you

18. Yosef Tesfa

September 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM

I want to upgrade my level to masters degree. I’m interested to get your scholarship and join to the university. Email:yoseftesfa80@yahoo.com

• mohamed