The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for US undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study and intern abroad programs worldwide.
Applications are invited for Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program available for US undergraduate students who are planning to study and intern abroad. Over 2,700 Benjamin A.Gilman International scholarships of up to $5,000 will be awarded. Eligible programs must be a minimum of four weeks (28 days) and can be as long as one academic year. Short-term programs are eligible as long as they fall within the eligible start dates for each cycle and are at least four weeks (28 days) in length. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and is open to all U.S. citizen undergraduates, in good academic standing, who meet the criteria listed below:
‣ The applicant must be receiving a Federal Pell Grant or provide proof that he/she will be receiving a Pell Grant at the time of application or during the term of his/her study abroad program or internship.
‣ The applicant is applying to or has been accepted into a study abroad program or internship eligible for credit by the student’s accredited institution of higher education in the US
‣ The applicant is studying or interning abroad for at least four weeks (28 days) in one country – or two weeks (14 days) for current community college students – and no more than one academic year. Programs going to more than one country are eligible if the student will be in one country for at least four consecutive weeks.
‣ The applicant is studying or interning abroad in any country except Cuba or a country on the U.S. Department of State’s current Travel Warning list. Students applying to programs in Mexico may only apply for scholarships to support study in Mexican states where no advisory is in effect according to the U.S. Department of State Travel Warning list.
Selection Criteria for Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship
‣ The US Department of State’s goal for the Gilman Program is to broaden the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might otherwise not participate due to financial constraints.
‣ The Gilman Scholarship Program aims to support a diverse range of students who have been traditionally under-represented in education abroad, including but not limited to:
‣ All applicants will be notified via email of the status of their application in December.
Scholarship Application Method
There are two components to the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Application:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on October 6, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.