The CASVA invites applications for visiting fellowship from scholars who have held the PhD for five years or more at the time of application, or who possess an equivalent record of professional accomplishment. The Center awards up to 12 short-term (up to 60 days) fellowships annually. Fellowships are for full-time research, and scholars are expected to reside in Washington and to participate in the activities of the Center throughout the fellowship period.
The Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts announces its program for Paul Mellon and Ailsa Mellon Bruce Visiting Senior Fellowships.
‣ Visiting Senior Fellowships Programme is for full-time research, and scholars are expected to reside in Washington and to participate in the activities of the Center throughout the fellowship period. Lectures, colloquia, and informal discussions complement the fellowship program. Each visiting senior fellow is provided with a study.
‣ In addition, visiting senior fellows who relocate to Washington are provided with housing in apartments near the Gallery, subject to availability.
‣ Visiting senior fellows have access to the notable resources represented by the art collections, the library, and the image collections of the National Gallery of Art, as well as to the Library of Congress and other specialized research libraries and collections in the Washington area.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Fellowships are available for full-time research and scholars are expected to reside in Washington and to participate in the activities of the Center throughout the fellowship period.
Field(s): Fellowships are intended to support research in the history, theory, and criticism of the visual arts (painting, sculpture, architecture, landscape architecture, urbanism, prints and drawings, film, photography, decorative arts, industrial design, and other arts) of any geographical area and of any period. Visiting senior fellowship applications are also solicited from scholars in other disciplines whose work examine artifacts or have implications for the analysis and criticism of visual form.
Deadline: March 21, 2016
Funded By: The Center for Advanced Study in the Visual Arts, National Gallery of Art, USA
Ailsa Mellon Bruce Visiting Senior Fellowship is intended for those who have held the PhD for five years or more at the time of application, or who possess an equivalent record of professional accomplishment.
‣ Individuals currently affiliated with the National Gallery of Art are not eligible for the visiting senior fellowship program.
‣ Visiting senior fellowships are awarded without regard to the age or nationality of applicants.
‣ Applications are reviewed by an external selection committee composed of scholars in the history of art and related disciplines. Outside readers may assist in the evaluation of proposals.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Candidates for visiting senior fellowships must submit an online application that includes a proposal and a copy of one article or chapter of a book, to be submitted on or before the appropriate deadline.
‣ Two letters of recommendation in support of the application are required. Procedures for associate appointments are the same as those for the visiting senior fellowship program.
‣ Visiting senior fellows may receive awards in three consecutive years but thereafter must wait three years before reapplying to the Center. Individuals may not apply for other Center fellowships while an application is pending or once a fellowship has been awarded. Visiting senior fellowships may not be postponed or renewed.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date : The application deadline is March 21, 2016 (Award period: September 1, 2016 – February 28, 2017).
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.