Apply For Fully Funded Human Rights Advocates Program At Columbia University, 2016

Founded in 1989, the Human Rights Advocates Program (HRAP) is a unique and successful model of human rights capacity building. HRAP capitalizes on its affiliation with Columbia University and its location in New York City to provide grassroots leaders the tools, knowledge, access, and networks to promote the realization of human rights and strengthen their respective organizations.

Application Deadline: 10:00 AM, New York time, on January 6th, 2016.

HRAP’s comprehensive program of advocacy, networking, skills-building, and academic coursework provides advocates the opportunity to hone practical skills, develop a deeper understanding of human rights, and foster mutually beneficial relationships with organizations and individuals in their respective fields.

Eligibility Requirements

• The Program is designed for lawyers, journalists, doctors, teachers, social workers, community organizers, and other human rights activists working with NGOs on issues including sexual and gender-based violence, minority rights, LGBT rights, labor rights, migration, health, social exclusion, environmental justice, disability rights, and corporate social accountability.
  • Advocates must work at the grassroots level. Applicants from high-income countries will not be considered except for those representing marginalized communities.
  • Advocates must provide proof of institutional endorsement in English from their organizations for their participation in the Program and must commit to returning to that organization upon completion of the Program.
  • Participants are selected on the basis of their previous work experience in human rights, commitment to the human rights field, and demonstrated ability to pursue graduate-level studies. Full-time students or government officials will not be considered. Applicants holding full or part-time jobs pursuing their advocacy efforts are preferred.
  • Fluency in English is required. Preference is given to those who have not previously had opportunities to travel and study internationally.

Benefits

After completing the intensive four-month program, Advocates are able to more effectively lobby for their causes and address the human rights concerns of their community. The comparative advantages of the Human Rights Advocates Program are its:

• Comprehensive program of skills-building, networking, advocacy, and academic coursework
  • Emphasis on individual and organizational capacity building
  • Affiliation with Columbia University and location in New York
  • Weeklong networking trip to Washington, D.C.
  • Alumni body of 271 human rights advocates in more than 80 countries

Selection:

• After ISHR conducts its stringent selection process, it makes every effort to secure funding for shortlisted Advocates to attend the program.
  • In certain cases where ISHR cannot secure funding, shortlisted Advocates may be asked to secure the funds needed for them to be admitted to the program.
  • Applicants will be notified in June of their status. Please be patient as the selection and funding processes are lengthy.

How to Apply:

• To begin a new application, register as an HRAP user.

For More Information:

Visit the Official Webpage of the Human Rights Advocates Program (HRAP)

1. Sisay Regassa

October 20, 2015 at 6:03 PM

hello dear. my name is Sisay Regassa. I’m from Ethiopia and I have BA degree in civic and ethical studies from Dilla university and I have interest to continue MA degree in related field, please help me. contact me via phone number +251913762852 and email sisayregasa52@gmail.com. thank you!

2. teka mossie

October 20, 2015 at 7:39 PM

hi my name is Teka Mossie From Ethiopia In East Africa.I Have LLb @ Law In Dire Dawa Universty and Im Giving Now Free Legal Service For Poor Socity Of Ethiopia Espicialy For Women Like Sexually Asulted By Neer Relatives Like Father Which Make Them Sham To Speak The Asult Based On This Dire Dawa Universty Cirtified Me.i Need To Learn My Master Degeree To This Universty.Pleas Contact Me: 251921863427 email.Tekamossie@yahoo.Com.God Bless Z World!

3. Gattuak Ruot Yiek Patuot

October 21, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Dear sir/madam First of all, l would like to apply for post of scholarship that you posted online. lam very interesting for that scholarship and l beg your pardon, if you allow my application in to your office would be appreciate. yoursfaithfully gattuakruotyiek@gmail.com

4. GERSEM TAMIRU

October 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM

Human right is not the issue of one nation,race or country;It is a right of all people,nation and nationality.as a social science student and concerned person I want to learn this issue.I have BA Degree in history ,sociology and social Anthropology from Addis Ababa University. Thanks.

October 21, 2015 at 6:56 PM

dear human rights programe…if u care about even one human being u would give me a scholarship because my brain is bein violated its rights 2 learn contact me at 29107279266

6. Zakarie abdinasir

October 23, 2015 at 4:50 AM

May name zakarie abdinasir i am somali i need to sicholarship becouse i complete high school there fore may parent have not money which to joined university please and please help me may phone number +252907359377 or email sakariye2500@gmail.com

7. robel engdasew tameru

November 14, 2015 at 4:04 PM

my name is robel engdasew tameru from etihopia am gc adama university help me please may phone number 0922384008

8. said nur cadde

December 11, 2015 at 7:20 AM

i am 19 yrs only and i am in somalia i would like to be your applied person if you can because i like to learn developed universities if you gave me and i graduated in high school so i have one year experience and now i didnt learn any university because i cannot that so please help me and contact with my phone as well as possible 00252907716485 or +252907610163

December 24, 2015 at 1:49 PM

hello dear, my name is eyasu fitamo i’m from Ethiopia i have Bsc in Agriculture i’m interested to study Msc program at your HRP scholarship please help me. my contact +251916025840 +251935939358

10. Eyasu Fitamo

December 24, 2015 at 1:57 PM

11. abdikani

December 27, 2015 at 8:36 PM

hi my name is Abdikani I’m somali originated Sool region specially Taleh district I graduated from Jeerin high school located in Taleh district now I’m in Sudan and yet I didn’t get a university please let me in order to continue the education I would like to learn about business and management please you can call me this phone 00249993375531

12. Musa Conteh

January 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM

A teacher in the Gambia.I’m deeply interested to study outside for the first time.contacts 6978693/7082682

13. Zeray Weldae

January 14, 2016 at 6:01 AM

Dear sir/madam,my name is Zeray Weldae,i have Bsc degree of electrical and computer engineering at Aksum university in Ethiopia.therefore i would like continue my higher education if possible according time available and financial support that’s why to reply international scholarship.if you need further information please contact me. email: zeray.ab00@gmail.com phone +251919044756 thank you. from zeray weldae