Rothamsted International (RI) is a charity supporting sustainable agriculture in developing countries. It was launched in 1993 to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the foundation of Rothamsted.
‣ One of the main activities of RI is the Rothamsted International Fellowship Scheme (RIFS) and, to date, around 140 scientists from more than 30 different countries have been supported by the programme.
School(Institutions/ Country): | UK
Level: Fellowship is awarded to mid-career postdoctoral scientists for undertaking research.
Field(s): Fellowship proposals must be in agricultural, environmental, mathematical or computational sciences, and must be aligned with Rothamsted’s Research Strategy.
Deadline: 14 December 2015.
Funded By: Rothamsted Research Limited, UK
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Rothamsted International Fellowship is targeted for applicants from developing countries (Afghanistan, Ivory Coast, Albania, Anguilla, Angola, Ghana, Algeria, Antigua, Barbuda, Bangladesh, Kenya, Armenia, Argentina, Benin, Korea, Dem. Rep., Azerbaijan, Barbados, Bhutan, Kyrgyz Rep., Bolivia, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Nigeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belize, Burundi, Pakistan, Cameroon, Botswana, Cambodia, Papua New Guinea, Cape Verde, Brazil, Central African Rep., Tajikistan, China, Chile, Chad, Uzbekistan, Colombia, Cook Islands, Comoros, Vietnam, Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Congo Dem. Rep., Zimbabwe, Dominican Republic, Croatia, Djibouti, Ecuador, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Egypt, Dominica, Eritrea, El Salvador, Fiji, Ethiopia, Former Yugoslav, Republic of Macedonia, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guatemala, Jamaica, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Kazakhstan, Haiti, Honduras, Lebanon, Kiribati, India, Libya, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Lesotho, Iran, Mauritius, Liberia, Iraq, Mayotte, Madagascar, Jordan, Mexico, Malawi,
The Candidate must meet the following criteria to apply for Rothamsted International Fellowship ?
‣ be of doctoral status, with at least two years post-doctoral experience. Candidates without Higher Degrees must have equivalent research experience to be considered eligible for the scheme. Applications will not be considered where the main objective of the visit is research leading to a higher degree for the Candidate.
‣ The Candidate must be a citizen of a developing country, or have been based exclusively within a developing country. Please note that developing countries are defined as the countries listed on the DAC list of ODA recipients
‣ It is essential that the Candidate returns to employment in their home country where the work conducted in the fellowship can be applied. Candidates who have extensive and/or continuous employment in a developed country are not likely to be awarded an RI Fellowship. If the Candidate has previously travelled overseas to carry out research, there must be evidence that the skills gained have been applied in their home country.
‣ The Candidate should know their Rothamsted Project Leader (either directly or indirectly), or have been highly recommended.
‣ Projects must have the support of the Head of Department and Head of ISPG at Rothamsted Research.
Selection Criteria for Rothamsted International Fellowship
‣ Proposals are reviewed by the Rothamsted International Fellowship Panel (RIFP), which meets annually to evaluate applications. Decisions are communicated to candidates within one month of the Fellowship Panel meetings.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications must be completed jointly by the candidate and Rothamsted Project Leader. Applications must be submitted by a project leader at Rothamsted Research.
‣ Candidates should have detailed discussions with the Rothamsted Project Leader to determine the nature of the project, as well as with the Director of their home Institute/University, prior to the submission of a Fellowship Application.
‣ It should be noted that, in some countries, Fellowship Application Forms must be routed formally via the Director of the candidate’s institution.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 14 December, 2015.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.