Beinecke Scholarships are offered for masters or doctoral students in USA. Up to 20 scholarships will be awarded. Scholarships will be offered to the student who plans to continue full-time undergraduate study and who expects to receive a baccalaureate degree between December 2016 and August 2017. Scholarships will be offered for the duration of 5 years.
William Sperry Beinecke, the eldest son of Frederick and a lawyer, served The Sperry and Hutchinson Company from 1952 as general counsel, vice-president, president and from 1966 until his retirement in 1980 as chairman and chief executive officer.
‣ Early in his term as president, he guided the creation of the foundation that is now The Sperry Fund. During his years with the company, he was an ardent advocate for business support of charitable and educational institutions, and he led the company to set the pace for corporate charitable giving in this country.
‣ Responding to his initiative in 1971, the Sperry and Hutchinson board established the scholarship program in memory of his father and two uncles who had led the company before him.
‣ Each year approximately 125 colleges and universities are invited to nominate a student for a Beinecke Scholarship, and 20 new scholarships will be awarded in 2016. Each school invited to participate in the 2016-2017 Beinecke Scholarships is permitted to make a single nomination each year.
‣ Students enrolled at a participating institution who are interested in applying for a Beinecke Scholarship should contact their campus liaison for information regarding the procedure to be followed in selecting the school’s nominee.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Field(s): arts, humanities or social sciences
Deadline: February 19, 2016.
Funded By: Sperry and Hutchinson Company
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): 2016-2017 Beinecke Scholarships are targeted for United States citizen or a United States national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
‣ Award No: Up to 20 scholarships will be offered.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships will be offered for the duration of five year.
To be eligible for 2016-2017 Beinecke Scholarships , a student must :
‣ Have demonstrated superior standards of intellectual ability, scholastic achievement and personal promise during his or her undergraduate career.
‣ Be a college junior pursuing a bachelor’s degree during the 2015-2016 academic year. “Junior” means a student who plans to continue full-time undergraduate study and who expects to receive a baccalaureate degree between December 2016 and August 2017.
‣ Plan to enter a master’s or doctoral program in the arts, humanities or social sciences. Students in the social sciences who plan to pursue graduate study in neuroscience should not apply for a Beinecke Scholarship.
‣ Be a United States citizen or a United States national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
‣ Have a documented history of receiving need-based financial aid during his or her undergraduate years. Primary evidence of meeting this criterion is a student’s history of receiving need-based institutional, state or federal grants-in-aid. An institutional financial aid officer will be required to complete a Financial Data Sheet certifying that the student meets this criterion. During the selection process, the amount of financial need will be one of the factors considered with preference being given to candidates for whom the awarding of a scholarship would significantly increase the likelihood of the student’s being able to attend graduate school.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ For applying to 2016-2017 Beinecke Scholarships should contact their campus liaison for information regarding the procedure to be followed in selecting the school’s nominee.
‣ Each nomination must include the following materials:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on Nominations are made by the college or university. Students should contact their campus liaison for information.
Nominations are due February 19, 2016.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship