University of Oslo Scholarships are made available for the most outstanding international applicants.
‣ Applicants of all nationalities are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Scholarship is awarded to undertake PhD program by the university.
‣ The aims of the project ( PhD Research Fellowship in Paleontology ) are to revise the ammonoid taxonomy and biozonation and to improve our understanding of the paleobiogeography and paleoenvironment of the High Boreal Triassic.
‣ The University of Oslo, until 1939 named the Royal Frederick University, is the oldest, largest and most prestigious university in Norway, located in the Norwegian capital of Oslo. UiO attracts students and researchers from all over the world. As of 2012, 13 percent of the student population is from foreign countries. 17.5 percent of the academic staff and 26 percent of the PhD candidates are from abroad.
School(Institutions/ Hosting Countries): University of Oslo | Norway
Level: PhD studies or research.
Deadline: January 31, 2016.
Funded By: University of Oslo
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): PhD Research Fellowship in Paleontology is targeted for Norwegian and foreign applicants .
Have it takes to avail PhD Research Fellowship in Paleontology ?
‣ All applicants must be classed as international students for fee purposes.
‣ All applicants must already hold an offer of a place on a fulltime PhD or Research programme at the University of Oslo.
‣ Eligible students should have: -Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in geology or biology, with specialization in invertebrate paleontology.
‣ Physical ability for field work in the Arctic is required. Previous experience with some or all of the following subjects is desired: The Triassic system, ammonoids, Arctic geology, taxonomic description and statistical analysis.
‣ University seeks a highly motivated, hardworking and creative student who is able to think and work independently, but who is also able to work well as part of a team. The candidate has to have good communication skills and will collaborate with researchers across disciplines.
‣ The purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree.
‣ The fellowship requires admission to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
Eligility Requirement for PhD Research Fellowship in Paleontology
‣ Entrance Requirement: To be eligible for admission to a PhD programme at the University of Oslo, you must have a relevant five-year Master’s degree with a good grade, or equivalent qualifications approved by the faculty. The faculties may impose additional qualification requirements.
‣ Test Requirement: Not Required
‣ English Language Requirements: A good command of English is required of all students attending the University of Oslo. International students; PhD research fellows and post doctoral research fellows who are not native speakers of English, must document their proficiency in English by taking one of the following internationally recognised tests
‣ TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
‣ IELTS – International English Language Testing Service
‣ Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) from the University of Cambridge
‣ Applicants to the programme for the PhD degree in Science must obtain a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or 80 (internet-based) on the TOEFL test, or a minimum score of 6.5 from the IELTS (academic) test. The same applies to applicants for post doctoral research fellow positions.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications are submitted via online Application Form
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on January 31, 2016.
‣ The application must include: Application letter, CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications), Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation, List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee and Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
‣ Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
‣ In accordance with the University of Oslo’s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.