Application Deadline: 29 June 2016
The National Research Foundation (NRF) and the Department of Science and Technology (DST), in partnership with The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), are pleased to announce the call for fellowship applications for 2017 in the following two categories:
The objectives of the doctoral scholarship funding instruments are to:
- Increase the number and quality of doctoral scholars in Africa and in other developing countries;
- Foster scientific and technological cooperation by facilitating brain circulation between countries;
- Attract young scientists and professionals of the highest calibre from developing countries to access world class strategic and applied research opportunities in order to advance their professional competitiveness ; and
- Support human capacity needs and thus position the developing countries for global competitiveness in scientific and technological fields
In selecting applicants for consideration for the doctoral scholarships, the following criteria will apply:
- The NRF-TWAS Doctoral Scholarship funding Instrument is open to citizens and permanent residents from developing countries outside Africa.
- The NRF-TWAS African Renaissance Doctoral Scholarship funding instrument is open to citizens and permanent residents from Africa except South Africa.
The following individuals are not eligible to apply under either funding instrument:
South African citizens;
Foreign citizens who hold permanent residency permits of South Africa;
Foreign citizens who are already resident in South Africa or in any developed country and hold temporary residence permits (this includes study permits);
Citizens and permanent residents of any developed country; and
Foreign citizens who were previously employed or studying towards a degree or undertaking research in South Africa, and have returned to their country of origin but have been in their country of origin for less than two (2) years.
Applicants must be thirty five (35) years of age on 31 December of the year of application for the doctoral scholarship;
Applicants must hold a university degree that will satisfy requirements for admission to doctoral studies at a South African public university, which is generally a Master’s Degree; and
Visa and immigration laws of the applicant’s home country and South Africa must be met by the applicant
Areas of Support
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the