Canon Collins Trust seeks to support exceptional individuals who are committed to social justice in Southern Africa and for whom a postgraduate qualification is an essential tool in working to create an open and just society. In early 2015 the Trust revised its South African scholarship awards policy. We will provide funding for up to a maximum of two years for Masters and three years for PhD. Continued funding depends upon satisfactory progress and academic reports.
Level: master’s or doctoral degree level
Field(s): courses offered by South African university.
Deadline: Monday 15 August 2016, at 3pm GMT. Late applications will not be considered.
Funded By: Canon Collins Trust
To apply for Canon Collins Scholarships , applicants must:
‣ be a national of, or have refugee status in, one of the following countries: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe
‣ be normally resident in one of the above countries
‣ be in possession of a good first degree (minimum second class, upper division or equivalent) or about to graduate in the year of application
‣ be studying or applying to study at a South African university
Selection criteria for Canon Collins Scholarships
‣ In selecting scholars, the Trust will apply a number of criteria including academic merit, need and the potential to contribute to open and just societies in southern Africa.
‣ Applicants for all schemes within the 2017 SA Scholarship Programme will be assessed on the basis of the information that they supply on their application form against the criteria outlined below: CCSA Scholarship 2014 Application Guidelines
1. Academic Record and References Applicants should have a minimum of an upper second-class (merit) undergraduate or Honours degree and excellent references.
2. Future impact All applicants need to articulate how the scholarship and their studies will enable them to contribute to open and just societies in southern Africa.
3. Work Experience We favour applications where there is a demonstrable continuity between applicant’s past study and career and their proposed course of study.
4. Leadership Competencies Canon Collins places a great deal of emphasis upon the leadership potential of individuals. Applicants will be asked to demonstrate how they have developed their leadership skills in the workplace, academia or in their personal life. Priority will be given to those who can describe an occasion/s in which they have used their skills to formulate a shared vision or strategy, build strategic relationships and networks, support peers and mentor others, and/or deliver results.
5. Alignment with the Trust’s priorities We will favour applicants who most clearly demonstrate that their proposed course and future plans align with the Trust’s priorities.
Notification for Canon Collins Scholarships
‣ Please do not email us to ask about the outcome of your application. All notifications will be by email so please make sure you provide an accurate email address. We will be interviewing shortlisted applicants by telephone in October 2015. We will let you know the outcome of your application in November 2016.
‣ When we are open for applications you will be able to access the online application form on www.canoncollins.org.uk/ccsa.html. You will find full instructions online when you start a new form.
‣ All sections of the form need to be complete before the system will allow the application form to be submitted. Information can be saved and the application form edited until the applicant chooses to submit.
‣ All applicants are required to upload the following supporting documentation:
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: We will open for applications on Wednesday 15 June 2016 at 3pm GMT. The deadline for applications is Monday 15 August 2016, at 3pm GMT. Late applications will not be considered.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.