The Government of Canada offers Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships for Canadian and international students studying at Canadian universities. Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually for a period of three years. Students must be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation. Candidates cannot apply directly to the Vanier CGS program. Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year. Full details:
Field(s): any one of the courses offered by the Canadian universities
Deadline: November 2, 2016; 20:00 ET.
Funded By: Government of Canada
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are targeted for Canadian and international students
‣ Award No: Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually. A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Scholarships are awarded for three years.
‣ Scholarship covers: Each Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valued at $50,000 per year.
‣ The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global centre of excellence in research and higher learning.
‣ It is worth $50,000 per year for three years and is available to both Canadian and international PhD students studying at Canadian universities.
To be nominated for a Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships , you must meet the following criteria:
‣ Be nominated by only one Canadian university, which must have received a Vanier CGS allocation;
‣be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
‣ Intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral studies and research at the nominating university (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD); note that only the PhD portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding);
‣ not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
‣ Have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Applicants are encouraged to contact the University for its Definition of a first-class average; and
‣ Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
Calculating months of doctoral studies
All prior doctoral-level studies, regardless of discipline, are considered in the evaluation of eligibility. The Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat) will count two months of part-time study as one month of full-time study.
The Secretariat will not include the first 12 months of graduate level study for the following students:
Note: For students in combined or accelerated programs: in calculating the number of months completed, the Secretariat will begin it’s calculation at the beginning of graduate study (i.e., from the start of the master’s program, not from the effective date of transfer to the doctoral program) and subtract 12 months from the total, regardless of the amount of time spent undertaking Master’s level study.
In the case of students who are registered in a joint undergraduate/graduate research degree program, the undergraduate (MD, DVM, JD) portion will not count towards the number of months at the doctoral level. Because the Secretariat only includes the PhD portion of joint undergraduate/graduate degrees when calculating the number of months of study, these programs are not considered to be direct-entry programs, and as such all PhD level studies will be included in the number of months completed as of May 1, 2017.
All interruptions, delays, part-time studies and undergraduate studies undertaken as part of a joint undergraduate/graduate degree program must be indicated in the special circumstances attachment.
Example: If you were completing full-time doctoral studies as of January 1, 2016, with no interruptions during this period, the Secretariat will consider you as having completed 16 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017. If, during this period, you were on leave from your program for four months, the Secretariat will consider you as having completed 12 months of doctoral studies. If, in addition to having taken one semester off, you had been registered part-time for one semester (i.e., four months), the Secretariat will consider you as having completed 10 months of doctoral studies.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships Candidates are evaluated and selected based on the following criteria:
‣ Academic excellence, as demonstrated by past academic results and by transcripts, awards and distinctions.
‣ Research potential, as demonstrated by the candidate’s research history, his/her interest in discovery, the proposed research and its potential contribution to the advancement of knowledge in the field, the potential benefit to Canadians, and any anticipated outcomes. Leadership (potential and demonstrated ability), as defined by the following qualities:
‣ Personal achievement:
‣ Involvement in academic life:
‣ Volunteerism/community outreach:
‣ Civic engagement:
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications are prepared by the student and submitted to the university by the nominating university’s internal deadline (set in ResearchNet by the nominating university) using the ResearchNet application system.
‣ Scholarship Application Due Date: November 2, 2016 (20:00 Eastern Time).
There are two deadlines pertaining to the 2016-2017 competition:
‣ Note: Each Canadian university has an internal deadline date for students to submit their applications. The Canadian university should be contacted for this information.
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be downloaded from the official website.