Getty Foundation is inviting application for pre-doctoral, postdoctoral and NEH fellowships to pursue research to complete their dissertations or to expand them for publication at the Getty Research Institute. Getty Pre and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities. GRI-NEH Fellowship is open for United States citizens or foreign nationals who can document that they have lived in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding the fellowship application deadline. Getty Fellows are in residence for nine months from mid-September to mid-June.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: pursue research to complete their dissertations or to expand them for publication at the Getty Research Institute.
Field(s): Fellowships are awarded to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual theme.
Deadline: October 3, 2016.
Funded By: Getty Foundation (GRI-NEH Fellowship is funded by National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and part of the Getty’s annual scholar and fellow program)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Getty Fellowships are targeted for Scholars of all nationalities can apply for these Getty fellowships.
‣ No. of awards: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Tenure : Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from mid-September to mid-June.
‣Value of Scholarship : Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $25,000. Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000. Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare option
‣ Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute’s annual research theme. Recipients are in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand dissertation for publication.
‣ Getty Fellowships Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly meeting devoted to the annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships ( Getty Fellowships ) :
‣ Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities (please see below for GRI-NEH residency eligibility requirements).
‣ Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral fellowships.
‣ Getty Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the time of the fellowship start date and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period.
‣ Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
‣ To be eligible to apply for the 2016-2017 scholar year, Postdoctoral Fellowship applicants should not have received their degree earlier than 2011 (please see below for GRI-NEH residency eligibility requirements).
‣ Applicants must be United States citizens or foreign nationals who can document that they have lived in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding the fellowship application deadline (from October 1, 2012);
‣ Applicants must have completed all degree requirements by the application deadline;
‣ The GRI-NEH residency period is late-September to late-March; and
‣ The stipend for the GRI-NEH fellowship is $4,200 per month. The GRI-NEH Postdoctoral Fellowship also provides workspace, housing, transportation, and healthcare options comparable to other Getty fellowship programs.
Selection Criteria for Getty Fellowships
‣ All fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis.
‣ Applications will be evaluated by the Getty Research Institute (or in the case the GRI-NEH Fellowship by an external selection committee of qualified scholars convened and staffed by the Getty Research Institute) based on: (1) the overall quality of the application; (2) how the proposed project bears upon the annual research theme; (3) the applicant’s past achievements; and (4) how the project would benefit from the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
‣ Applicants are notified of the Getty Research Institute’s decision approximately six months following the deadline.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form (which includes uploading a Project Proposal; Selected Bibliography; Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract; Curriculum Vitae; Writing Sample; Confirmation letter; and any documentation required for an NEH fellowship) by 5:00 p.m. (PDT) October 3, 2016. Two letters of recommendation are also required for this application (see Letters of Recommendation).
‣ For the best user experience, we strongly recommend use of the Google Chrome browser. You may also use Firefox or Safari.
‣ The Internet Explorer 11 (IE) browser is not fully compatible with our portal. Create or update your account and password, log in, and begin a new application.
‣ You may return to your work at any time by visiting the portal at the link above and logging into your account.
‣ Project Proposal
‣ Selected Bibliography -Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract –Curriculum Vitae
‣ Writing Sample
‣ Confirmation letter –Documentation of U.S. residency
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on October 3, 2016.
You may return to your work at any time by visiting the portal at the link above and logging into your account.
Create or update your account and password, log in, and begin a new application. You may return to your work at any time by visiting the portal at the link above and logging into your account.
Please note: Once you have created and saved an application form, be sure to return to work on the same form by selecting the “Applications: In Progress” link to return to your saved application. Otherwise, you may inadvertently create multiple versions of the same application.
Project Proposal: Each application must include a description of the applicant’s proposed plan for study and research (not to exceed five pages, typed and double-spaced). The description should indicate (1) how the project bears upon the scholar year theme and (2) how the project would be advanced by the resources at the Getty, including its library and collections.
Selected Bibliography (not to exceed two pages, typed and single-spaced): cite scholarly works, other than your own, that are important to the project and the place the project in its intellectual framework.
Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract (maximum two pages).
Writing Sample: Each applicant should submit one writing sample (not more than twenty-five pages, typed and double-spaced).This may be a sample of the dissertation and should best represent the applicant’s methodological concerns.
Confirmation letter (a scan of this letter is acceptable): Predoctoral applicants must submit a letter from their academic institution confirming that they have passed their qualifying exams and have been advanced to candidacy. Postdoctoral applicants must submit confirmation from their academic institution that their doctorates have been awarded. NEH postdoctoral fellowship applicants must have completed all degree requirements by the application deadline.
Documentation of U.S. residency (required by foreign nationals applying for the GRI-NEH Postdoctoral Fellowship only). This includes a copy of your passport and a copy of one of the following documents:
Green CardTemporary Green Card StampWork Authorization CardCopy of most current visaCopy of most current visa Approval notice from USCIS
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: As part of this application you will request that two confidential letters of recommendation be forwarded by your recommenders through the system by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on October 3, 2016. You will be prompted to enter the names and emails of your references as you fill out the application form. A link will then be sent to them automatically that will allow them to upload their confidential recommendations. Recommenders should attach a scanned original letter to the e-mail. Once you request this information you will be able to monitor your account to confirm that the letters have been submitted.
Please address inquiries to the following:
Attn: Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships/GRI-NEH Fellowship
Phone: (310) 440-7374
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.