Application Deadline: 30th September 2016
The MasterCard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to provide 300 scholarships over 10 years to academically talented yet economically disadvantaged students from Sub-Saharan Africa for study at UCT.
The Scholars Program is a $500 million initiative to educate young people – particularly from Africa – to lead change and make a positive social impact in their communities. Scholars will receive comprehensive scholarships, academic support, peer mentorship, career guidance, internship opportunities, transition-to-work support and access to a global alumni network.
The scholarship’s tenure is for the full period of the academic program for which the Undergraduate Scholar has enrolled, with the second and subsequent years dependent on satisfactory academic progress and co-curricular involvement. Tenure for the Honours level scholarships is one year. For Masters level the scholarships tenure is two years, dependent on academic progress and co-curricular participation of the Scholar.
In order to be considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town, applicants must be:
- Academically talented, must value learning and be driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged and facing significant financial barriers to accessing education.
- Committed to giving back to their own communities once studies are completed, to return to their home countries and take a leadership role in promoting social and economic improvement.
- Future leaders committed to embracing ethical leadership to improve the lives of others.
- Commitment to community service through previous and/or past engagements with community outreach activities
- Citizens and residents of a Sub-Saharan African country.
- Wanting to study at undergraduate or postgraduate level (Masters by research and coursework or research Masters, only). Honours applicants will be considered from 2016.
- Applying to study in the fields of Commerce, Engineering and Built Environment, Health Sciences, Humanities, Law or Sciences at the University of Cape Town.
- All prospective Scholars must first be admitted to the University of Cape Town to be considered for the Scholarship. Although each academic department has its own criteria, a minimum of 60% for the Honours, or equivalent degree is the overall academic criterion required for entry into the Masters’ degree.
- Preference will be given to ‘first-generation’ students, i.e. those who are the first ones in their families to go to university.
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
- Full tuition fees and international student fees
- Accommodation in the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Meals through the student housing system at the University of Cape Town
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to your studies
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for your degree programme
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town
- Access to an internship opportunity
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of and/or residents of a Sub-Saharan country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of Cape Town
How to apply for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship at the University of Cape Town
- In order to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the UCT for academic study and placement.
- At the point of selection, the applicant should have a conditional/firm offer from the University of Cape Town
- The following required supporting documents must be attached/uploaded to the undergraduate scholarship application form:
- Certified copy of Identity Document, Passport or Refugee Papers
- Applicant’s Curriculum Vitae (CV) of no more than two (2) A4 pages using the following points as context:
- Participation in Extra-Curricular Activities
- Skills and Interests
- Academic and/or Professional Experience
- Certified copies of all Secondary education transcripts
- Applicants will be required to produce translated copies of all academic transcripts where English is not the primary language
- 2 Academic Referee Reports
- Academic referee reports must be presented in the English language
- Referees may attach additional pages or documentation in support of the recommendation on the official institutional letterhead with original signature, stamp and date in support of the applicant
- Applicants’ are required to submit an essay of no more than 2000 words using the following points as context:
- In which ways do you envisage contributing to the economic growth and social development of your country and Africa on completion of your studies, using your education as leverage?
- Explain any community service activities you have been involved in.
- List the qualities that, for you, define leadership and elaborate on leadership initiatives that you have undertaken.
- Shortlisted applicants will be notified and will be required to submit documentary evidence of the information provided on the scholarship application form
- The submission of incomplete and / or late scholarship applications will not be accepted and will be cancelled. Such applicants will not be considered for selection of scholarships.
- To apply for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship, please refer to the full guidelines for undergraduate applicants.
- Alternatively, request information on how to apply for a MasterCard Foundation scholarship from The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program: Recruitment and Peer Mentor Officer at email@example.com (telephone number +27 (0)21 650 5923 / 3601).