Ministry of Education APEC Scholarships for International Scholars in Taiwan, and applications are submitted till September 30. The Ministry of Education (MOE) is offering APEC Scholarships for young international scholars from APEC member economies to undertake research in Taiwan. Approximately 10 MOE APEC Scholarships are available each year; the actual number depends on the annual budget for the particular fiscal year. A Ph.D. student will receive a monthly research subsidy of NTD $25,000; a postdoctoral fellow will receive NTD $40,000.
School(Institutions/ Country): | Taiwan
Field(s): The research topic area to be investigated in Taiwan must be related to Taiwanese humanities and art disciplines, education and culture, social sciences, the natural sciences, and/or related comparative research.
Deadline: September 30
Funded By: Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research, Taiwan
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): Ministry of Education APEC Scholarships are targeted for APEC member economies (Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, China, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, The Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Chinese, Taipei, Thailand, The United States and Vietnam) can apply for this scholarship
‣ No. of awards: Approximately 10 Ministry of Education APEC Scholarships are available each year; the actual number depends on the annual budget for the particular fiscal year.
‣ Scholarship Tenure : The MOE APEC Scholarship period must be for a duration of between 2 and 6 months. The MOE APEC Scholarship period is aligned with each fiscal year, and, in principle, the research is to be undertaken between March 1 and December 31.
‣Value of Scholarship :
To apply for Ministry of Education APEC Scholarships , applicants must meet the following requirements :
‣ An international scholar who is a Ph.D. student or a postdoctoral research fellow, with the exception of anyone currently holding an R.O.C. passport, is eligible to apply for an MOE Scholarship for People from Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Member Economies (abbreviated below to ‘MOE APEC Scholarship’). Priority will be given to specific research proposals by scholars who have completed a dissertation, book/s, and/or other publication/s.
‣ ‘Ph.D. student’ refers to a student who is currently undertaking a doctorate program at an overseas government approved and registered public or private university or tertiary college at the time they are applying; a ‘postdoctoral research fellow’ refers to a scholar who has been awarded a Ph.D. by any overseas government approved and registered public or private university or tertiary college and is now undertaking a research project at such an overseas university, or tertiary college, or at an institute of higher education.
Please note that anyone in any of the following circumstances is not eligible to apply:
1. Anyone who at the time they apply is visiting, residing, studying (including undertaking an internship), teaching, or undertaking research activity in Taiwan;
2. Anyone who has received an MOE Short Term Research Award within the last 5 years;
3. Anyone who is currently receiving some form of financial assistance from a government agency or an educational institution in Taiwan to undertake a research project;
Selection Criteria for Ministry of Education APEC Scholarships
Selection is based on consideration of:
a.the applicant’s potential; outstanding personal performance; and ability to carry out their proposal (30%);
b.the applicant’s language ability, and the academic reputation of the research institution within the applicant’s research field and its appropriateness for the proposal(30%);
c.the overall quality and comprehensiveness of the research proposal (including the topic, structure, research methodology, and analysis of the issue/s),its feasibility, and the importance of the project to future development of the applicant’s home country and Taiwan (40%).
Notification for Ministry of Education APEC Scholarships
‣ The MOE will notify the host institutions of the final MOE APEC Scholarship decisions, and the host institutions will then notify the applicants. The MOE will also send a copy of the decision tothe Republic of China embassy or diplomatic mission in each successful applicant’s home country or place of residence by January 31 of the next year.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applications to undertake a research project in Taiwan in the following year must be submitted to the university, tertiary college,or research organization affiliated with the Ministry of Education—such as the Center for Chinese Studies, or the National Academy for Educational Research—in Taiwan at which the applicant would like to undertake research .
Applicants must submit the following documents:
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on September 30.
1. Send application to the host university/research centert in Taiwan before Sep. 30 for the research in the following year
2. Host university/research center submit application to MOE before Nov. 15
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.