2016 University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program

The University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars Program

The University of Michigan African Presidential Scholars (UMAPS) opens for applications for the 2016/17 session. The Program brings early career faculty from African universities to Ann Arbor, Michigan for residencies that begin in late August, generally lasting up to six months.

Scholars are paired with a faculty mentor during their stay and have full access to the University of Michigan’s resources to further their work on a research project, an academic degree, publications, grant proposal, or other relevant activity. The program supports the development of the next generation of African scholars by integrating them into international academic networks, and promotes U-M’s international commitment to research and teaching collaborations across diverse disciplines, from engineering to literature to economics.

Since 2009, the UMAPS Program has hosted eight cohorts of scholars (107 total) from Ghana, South Africa, Liberia, Uganda, Ethiopia, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Tanzania representing a wide range of disciplines that closely align with the following initiatives:
  • African Heritage Initiative (AHI) supports research related to the arts, humanities, and interpretive social sciences, which highlights the dynamic, contested process by which African cultures and histories are made;
  • African Social Research Initiative (ASRI) promotes social science research on democratic governance and distributive politics; income dynamics and poverty; and gender, health, and development;
  • Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Initiative (STEM-Africa) nurtures the study of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in Africa, which extends scientific knowledge and yields solutions to global problems.

Criteria

Review and selection will be made by a multidisciplinary faculty committee at the University of Michigan and will be based on the following:

• Academic quality of the candidate and of the proposed program of scholarship
  • Academic fit of the candidate with others selected in the cycle and with the areas of interest described in the Scholarly Program section below – it is our hope to facilitate scholarly networks
  • Support of the candidate’s home institution

Priority will be given to candidates from disadvantaged backgrounds. Promotion of gender equity in the current class of scholars and in the African academy will also be prioritized. Applicants who already have significant international experience will not be favored.

Worth of Award

Those admitted to the UMAPS Program will receive:

• Four to six months residency at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, paired with a faculty mentor with full access to the university’s resources
  • Round-trip airfare from their home country to Ann Arbor, Michigan
  • Free housing, and a modest stipend to cover living, health care, and research costs while at U-M.
    Important note: The UMAPS program is unable to accommodate spouses and/or dependents
  • Office/Laboratory space
  • Opportunity to present research to the U-M community

Faculty members of colleges and universities in all other African countries cannot apply directly to the UMAPS program without first being nominated and invited to apply by a U-M faculty member with whom s/he already has a pre-existing relationship.

All applicants must:

• Be an early career faculty member who has taught in the higher education system for less than ten years, presently teaching in a college or university in Africa
  • Be able to demonstrate support from home institution with letter of recommendation from head of department, dean, or vice chancellor
  • Be able to remain in residence from four to six months

How to Apply

• Applicants outside of Ethiopia, Ghana, South Africa, or Uganda must be nominated by a U-M faculty member with whom the interested applicant already has a pre-existing/established relationship.
  • The nominating faculty must:
  • Complete the online nomination form »
  • Submit a letter of endorsement that indicates his/her willingness to serve as a mentor during the length of the residency, commit to meet regularly, and provide an office space for the prospective participant

Upon receipt of the U-M faculty’s nomination form, ASC will send the invitation to apply to the potential candidate.

All applicants must:

• Complete the online application form »
  • Submit a curriculum vitae
  • Submit a scholarly program/research proposal (not to exceed five pages)
    Applications from a wide range of disciplines and schools are welcome; applications that align with the center’s initiatives—African Heritage, African Social Research, and STEM-Africa—are encouraged
  • Provide a complete name and contact information of the department head, dean, or vice chancellor at the applicant’s home institution who will be writing their letter of support

Deadline: Applications will be reviewed after the closing date on October 15. Incomplete applications will not be processed.

• Only applications submitted through the online system will be considered. ASC does not accept electronic (PDF) or hard copy submissions of the application.
  • Residency period: Late August-Early February

For further inquiries, please contact: asc-contact@umich.edu

Click here for more details and to apply

1. Nasraa Yousof

July 13, 2015 at 12:47 PM

My name Nasraa Yousof I live in Somalia and I want to study the Scolarship please contact me + 252634749550

2. Solmon Ayalew

July 13, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I like to join it 0912173536(phone) ETHIOPIA

3. Muniira Amiin

July 13, 2015 at 4:49 PM

hi my name is muniira nour amiin , I live in Somalia and want this scholarship of university plz contact me my phone number is 0633629430

4. Emmanuel Ninkabs

July 13, 2015 at 5:01 PM

hello my name is ninkabs emmanuel am from ghana i want to study the scholarship please contact me +233453615915 OR emmanuelninkabs@gmail.com

5. Sodiq Oladele

July 13, 2015 at 5:57 PM

hello my name is Oladele Sodiq I live in Nigeria and I want scholarship of university please contact me +2348026198856

6. Meddie Ahmed

July 13, 2015 at 7:12 PM

meddieahmed363@gmail.com for a vacancy

7. Lizzy Motseoa Motsoantoeng

July 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM

Helw am Motseoa Motsoantoeng,i am desperate for your financial support and need to persue degree this year 2015,motsoantoemge3@gmail.com.please contact me here

8. Lizzy Motseoa Motsoantoeng

July 13, 2015 at 7:24 PM

I live in Lesotho and want to study abroad

9. Farhan Omar Dayl

July 13, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Hello my name is ferhan hamdi omer i’m from ethiopia i would like to study scholarship university so i like it plz contact Tell 0915218003 thankz

10. Mamme True Man

July 13, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Hi my name is mohammed ahmed from Ethiopia i want to study scholarship so plesss contact me with this phon +251913958304

11. Sadiq Shah Zadran

July 14, 2015 at 1:02 AM

so nice

12. Richard Mwawinji

July 14, 2015 at 3:11 AM

YOU MAY CALL ME VIA +255782903938

13. John Tekle

July 14, 2015 at 6:56 AM

i am tekle yohannes i am from ethiopia i want to study scholarship university please contact with my phone no 0913806919 tnxz

14. Iftikaar Mohamed

July 14, 2015 at 7:20 AM

hi mynames hanaan iam from somalia please help me this big chance contact me email hanaani777@gmail,com or phone 2520634549378 thanks alot

15. Abdikarin Ahmed

July 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Hello my name is abdikariin ahmed abdi Ilive in mogadisho somalia ineed to study scholarship university please contect me with my phone:+252615878363 any information tex message

16. Temesgen Sisay

July 14, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Plse contact my pohe 0913980082

17. Adam Mohammed

July 14, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Am Adam. Mohammed Hussein send me message on face book or contact me +256774748759

18. Awet Halefom

July 14, 2015 at 10:42 AM

hi, my name is awet halefom i have first degree in civil engineering from mekelle university so i need to strength in civil engineering area for more information contact me +251911076054

19. Jean Eddy

July 14, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Hello, my name is Eddy i come from in rwanda, and i need that big chance, please contact me on e-mail jeaneddyn@gmail.com thx.

20. Vicent Jamac Kompany

July 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM

hello my name jamac Abdiwali mire l need to study scholarship university please my contact with my phone number 2520907330969

21. Eric Ghislain

July 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Hello,i’m very interessed by this scholarship.my number is 09867523.my mail:ericghislain@hotmail.fr

22. Ashenafi Mezgebe

July 14, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Am Ashenafi Mezgebe from ethiopia i want to join in your university so please contact me by face book or by+251914571341

23. Omoyosola Lawal

July 14, 2015 at 7:18 PM

Plz hv mercy on me nd help me,i want dis scholarship.frm Nigeria.contact me +2347069209402.thank u

24. Kinyala Chris

July 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM

I’ts my which but i don’t think can happen any way kinyala christopher from northern uganda so so eager to go for higher education but no way because i’m from poor family i sat my advance in 2012 i did so well but now my way block please can u consider me, i to go for diploma civil engineering my cont.+211927588529

25. Hodan Barwaaqo

July 15, 2015 at 5:30 AM

hi my name is hodan dayed seid ilive in ethiopia i want to study

26. Hodan Barwaaqo

July 15, 2015 at 5:31 AM

scholarship please contect me 0936428362

27. Iftikaar Mohamed

July 15, 2015 at 7:07 AM

iam student public health officer scond year

28. Yaser Ataie

July 15, 2015 at 9:33 AM

HI SIR . . My Name Is YASER ATAIE From Afghanistan . I Want A Free Scholarship About BCS . Thanks So Much . . My Contact Num : +93794754082 My Email : yaserataie123@gmail.com thanks So Much . . .

29. Katrin

July 15, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Please help me get someone to support my studies anywhere im katrin kwamboka from Kenya im 21years old thank you

30. AbdiAsiis Cali

July 15, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Hi my name is A/ASiis ALi noor i stay mogadisho somalia i would like to be amember scholarship university so help me and contect me this number 00252615092946

31. ESHETIE

July 16, 2015 at 8:53 AM

32. Najima Abdirahiin

July 16, 2015 at 5:10 PM

my name is najma I live in somalia I am interstin to get with this uneversty

33. Rotich vincent

July 31, 2015 at 8:09 AM

Hello. This is Rotich vincent from kenya and am very interested being considered in your scholarships.I will be glad if you consider me.contact me through +2540700047012.my e-mail address is vincentkibet1@gmail.com

34. zielono.opole.pl

August 3, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Hey great website! Does running a blog like this require a great deal of work? I’ve no expertise in programming but I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyways, if you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject but I simply wanted to ask. Appreciate it! vxpkdgnhtshvffngtkdprncaw

35. Abdirahmaan biille

August 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Hi my name is Abdirahman bille Farah I am one of the students finish high school this year in Somalia I respectfully requesting universities to accept me and to get a scholarship. please contact me 00252634681037

36. ban buon quan ao tre em

May 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM

After all, these are kids of the 21st century and you just can’t take things lightly when it comes to their clothes. Below are the most impressive fashion styles of Hollywood little princesses. If you do not wish to give into such a costly extravagance, then all you would have to do is take a look at the current styles and pick one that would satisfy your child’s individuality.

37. temesgen yibeltal

August 18, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Hi great peace is with you. I am from Ethiopia. I have BA degree in military science & leadership. If your university give to me free scholarship chance, I want to continue my masters degree in this field (leadership management or in public administration management in your university. Please help me! Thank you a lot! This is my email address.temesgenyibeltal277@gmail.com Please contact me with this address. Thank you!

38. Dureti Abu

August 23, 2016 at 5:35 AM

My name is Dureti Abu i’m from Ethiopia i want to study scholarship university plz cantact me +251962037210

39. Abadir Teha

September 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM

I’m Abadir Teha from ethiopia.I graduated from wollo university by textile engineering with B.Sc degree and i have the greatest interest to join in your scholarship opportunity.plz! if there is a vacancy with you add me to your best scholarship candidates and call me on +251923968568 or E-mail:abadirteha1@gmail.com

40. AGABA RONALD

November 13, 2016 at 3:56 PM

HELO I am AGABA RONALD from Uganda and i just got done with my high school hoping to join university but unfortunately my parents do not have tuition to further my education therefore i would be so grateful in case am given this opportunity. I can be contacted on this mobile number +256 752097097