President Obama’s Mandela Washington Fellowship For Young African Leaders 2017

The Mandela Washington Fellowship For Young African Leaders 2016

On July 28, 2014, in front of the inaugural class of Fellows, President Obama announced the renaming of the Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders in honor of Nelson Mandela. The Mandela Washington Fellowships for Young African Leaders is the flagship program of the Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI).

The Mandela Washington Fellowships for Young African Leaders empowers young people through academic coursework, leadership training, and networking. It is not designed to help Fellows identify funding for projects or organizations.

In 2017, the Fellowship will provide up to 1,000 outstanding young leaders from Sub-Saharan Africa with the opportunity to hone their skills at a U.S. college or university with support for professional development after they return home.

The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders

Course(s) Offered: Leadership
Course Level: Fellowship (Training)
Provider: USA Government, YALI
Country to Study in: USA

Applicants will NOT be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity. TheMandela Washington Fellowship is open to young African leaders who meet the following criteria:

• Are between the ages of 25 and 35 at the time of application submission, although exceptional applicants younger than 25 will be considered.
  • Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
  • Are eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa.
  • Are not employees or immediate family members of employees of the U.S. government (including the U.S. Embassy, USAID, and other U.S. government entities).
  • Are proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English.
  • Are citizens and residents of any one of the eligible countries listed below (please see Eligible groups below).
  • Are not alumni of the Mandela Washington Fellowships.

Please note: Fellows are not allowed to have dependents (including spouses and children) accompany them during the Fellowship.

Selection criteria:
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications (not in order of importance):

• A proven record of leadership and accomplishment in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
  • A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
  • The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
  • Strong social and communication skills.
  • An energetic, positive attitude.
  • Demonstrated knowledge, interest and professional experience in the sector/track selected.
  • A commitment to return to Africa and apply leadership skills and training to benefit the applicant’s country and/or community after they return home.

Eligible groups
Citizens and residents of one of the following countries:
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Republic of the Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Fields of study
Involves intensive leadership training, academic coursework, networking, and skills building at U.S. a college or university with support for professional development after returning home. May participate in internships in the public, private and non-profit sectors with organizations throughout the United States.

Number of awards
At least 1000 Fellows will be selected

Scholarship benefits
The U.S. State Department covers all costs involved in participating in the Mandela Washington Fellowship. That includes the costs of applying for a visa, round-trip airfare for travel between the United States and your home country, living and travel costs during the fellowship, six-week academic and leadership institute, concluding Summit in Washington, DC, accident and sickness benefit plan, housing and meals during the program, and an optional six-week Professional Development Experience for up to 100 Fellows

Please note: the Fellowship will not cover salary while Fellows are away from work or funds for personal purchases such as gifts.

Through this initiative, young African leaders are gaining the skills and connections they need to accelerate their own career trajectories and contribute more robustly to strengthening democratic institutions, spurring economic growth, and enhancing peace and security in Africa.

Method of Application
Applications must be completed online at https://yaliapp.irex.org. If you are a new applicant, or applied in either 2014, 2015 or 2016, you must begin a new registration process for the 2017 Fellowship. If you have already started a 2017 application, simply sign into the application portal and complete your application.

It is important to visit the official website (link to it is below) for complete information on how to apply for this Fellowship.

DEADLINES:
The deadline for applications for the Mandela Washington Fellowship is 4:00 PM GMT on Wednesday, October 26, 2016.

PLEASE NOTE:
Applications not meeting the technical eligibility requirements will not be forwarded to the selection committee. If you do not meet the technical eligibility requirements for this program, we invite you to visit exchanges.state.gov for information on other U.S. Department of State exchange opportunities.

President Obama launched YALI in 2010 to support young African leaders as they spur growth and prosperity, strengthen democratic governance, and enhance peace and security across Africa. The Fellows, who are between the ages of 25 and 35, have established records of accomplishment in promoting innovation and positive change in their organizations, institutions, communities, and countries.

Application Deadline: 26 October 2016
Open to International Applicants: No (ONLY Africans)

More Scholarship Information and Application

1. This is Zigiju Mekonnen

October 20, 2015 at 4:38 AM

I am obligated to regard & thank this institute as it established for developing countries. I hold my BSC degree from Hawssa university in NRM. Now I will require you to offer the chance for MSC in Mandela.contact 0921289136

2. This is Zigiju Mekonnen

October 20, 2015 at 4:39 AM

I am obligated to regard & thank this institute as it established for developing countries. I hold my BSC degree from Hawssa university in NRM. Now I will require you to offer the chance for MSC in Mandela.I am from Ethiopia.contact 0921289136

3. Gatluak riak toang

October 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM

I am gatluak riak from south sudan but i live in ethiopia jewi refugee camp. I am really interesting in scholar ship, i want to aquire BA degree in public management in mandela youth fellowship if possible . Here is my adress gatluak_r@yahoo.com

4. ROSELYNE MUKANAH

October 20, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Am encouraged by this . have a degree in B.A mathematics and economics option .Please consider for masters

5. gange hoka haile

October 20, 2015 at 1:07 PM

First of all thank you for this great opportunity my name is gange hoka haile i have diploma by water technology & i have interested to leading in your univeristy pleace contact me +251926351992

6. Abdata Aliyi

October 20, 2015 at 4:05 PM

I am Ethiopian I have BSC degree I will study MA degree Mandela academical if give chance contact me adress Abdata406@gmail.com/ +215921165406

7. Firew Getachew

October 20, 2015 at 4:22 PM

My name is Firew Getachew from Ethiopia.I have Bsc degree and i worked for five years in leadership areas. Now i want to study MA in leadership.If you give me the chance please call me 0912687352 my email firewg24@gmail.com

• Abiote Seid Aragaw

October 23, 2015 at 9:08 PM

My name is Abiote Seid from Ethiopia. I have Bsc degree and i worked for 3 years leadership areas and 4 years by a hard workers in teaching. Now i want to study MA in leadership. If you give me the chance please call me by this phone no. 0913453347 or 0915539567 and email-abioteseid44@gmail.com

8. mikiyas aragew engeda

October 22, 2015 at 8:20 AM

i have stronger inspiration to participate in Mandela Washington fellow ship for young African ledears 2016 since Africans have bad memory in leader ship in previous time so just contact me in my email that i have explained above.Tank you.

9. Abdata Aliyi

October 22, 2015 at 3:46 PM

I have BCS degree I want to study MA degree shcoolership Mandela academical if give chance contact me Abdata406@gmail.com

10. Tariku Beyene

October 23, 2015 at 6:46 PM

hi iam from ethiopias studing human medicin. pleas help me in giving this golden chance.mob+251928780651

11. kader pharah

October 24, 2015 at 4:58 AM

My name is kader pharah iam from somaliland i seeking this chance for lobg time final j got it . I want to be jioned for this acedamic So please help me how possible i cab jion it and contact me at00252634816356 Thanks

12. samuel yisihak

October 24, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I am samuel yisihak. i am from Ethiopia. I seeking this chance for a long time becouse there is no democracy please contant by this number 0913004558

13. wakjira

October 24, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Hey my name is wakjira mulugeta.i am from ethiopia.i want to join this university. With great Interest.now am on studying in university in computer science field.pls contact me 0920220443

14. abenezer dinbasha

October 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM

my name is abenezer dinbasha a live ethiopia .i finished grade 12 now iam unversity student Frist tear pelas contact this phone number +251925789972

15. mawlid mohamed

October 24, 2015 at 9:14 PM

my name is mowliid mohamed iam from ethiopia iam grade 11 now iam student contact this phone number +251915052755 or sumna143@hotmail.com

16. wasu minda

October 25, 2015 at 6:04 PM

my name is wasu minda iam live in ethiopia ,graduat from adama universty with automotive techenology bachelore dgeery .i need learn ms so how can you help me???

17. mubarak Abubakar

October 25, 2015 at 9:30 PM

my name is mubarak Abubakar i’m from nigeria i want to study in US -my phone number is +2347067890224 and my gmail is mubarakabubakar250@gmail.com

18. Dereje Anduanbessa Assayew

October 25, 2015 at 11:37 PM

I am Dereje Assayew, age 30. Graduate student in Ed. leadership and Management at Addis Ababa University. And so interested on this Mandela Foundation Fellowship

19. Sahardid Hashi

October 26, 2015 at 10:25 AM

I am Sahardid Hashi, a Somali student at Amoud University. I have just started my first year of medicine,and I am so hopeful to join one of these universities.Since my country destroyed the academic system has lost . I am good at writing,reading and,speaking English,and I am twenty_five years of age boy,whose father and mother have seperated and brought up a difficult and hard sitution.I am sure If I win this scholarship ,I will get benifit it.I hope you will consider my request.Thank you and this is my phone number:4501965.

20. my name is baradin mohammed

October 27, 2015 at 7:24 AM

my name is baradin mohammed iam from ethiopia from a counry of ABEBE BIQILA iam learning BA in sport science at jimma university and iam very competent student,so iam happy if u accept me to continues my education there.

21. my name is baradin mohammed

October 27, 2015 at 7:30 AM

ifu accepted me please contact me by this number 0940607361

22. Abdirahman Aden Faarah

October 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM

I am very delighted to get this high quality education. I live in hargeisa Somalia I have just finished secondary level last year so I didn’t join university because I can’t pay the fee of the university. My family can’t get the day’s meal because of lack of money so I would like to get this scholarship so if you accept my requesting contact me +252634350803

• getachew

October 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM

+251917973626

23. Mesfin

October 27, 2015 at 2:36 PM

Hi how are you? Firstly, I would like to express my deepest gratitude for this institute for Offering us this chance. I am Mesfin Gijo Shone. Now, I am fifth year mechanical engineering student in Jimma Institute of Technology. I am from Ethiopia.I am very happy if I get this chance and attend the my next education at this university. Contact me by 0917642194 and by my email address yeroobeekan@gmail.com

24. Elias temesgen

October 27, 2015 at 8:29 PM

I am Elias Temesgen from Ethiopia i have bsc degree in electrical and computer engineering if i get this chance i want to learn in your university if you have related field please contact by this number 0927783017

25. abdimatiin

October 28, 2015 at 8:49 AM

Hello my Name is Abdimatiin Hussein I Live in somalia i would like to anget opportuniy to study full scholarship undergraduate scholarship please and please contact me..Abdimatiin09@out­look.com

26. Petermumo

October 28, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Am petermumo living in kenya just wondering if u can email the application forms via my email i would wish to study public management…

27. Ebenezer Asrat Worku

November 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM

dear fellows,I am from Ethiopia lives in capital city addis abeba. I graduated from arbaminch university in civil engineering and i am 24 years old. even though i study engineering, i have a great ambition to serve my people with a very good leadership transparently. I can see it’s time for Africa to awake from deep sleep. if i get the chance to be one of young African leaders at Mandela Washington fellowship i will be committed to be in Africa and take part in all aspects faithfully for the benefit of society. Thank you.

28. Hamza

November 14, 2015 at 11:51 AM

I am Hamza Abdulkader,I am from ethiopia ,i graduate from haramaya university in BA degree in Geography and inv’tal studies my MA now i need study in your univesity

29. Desalegn kindu Fentie

November 21, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Hello my Desalegn kindu from Ethiopia 00251 0918719009/00251 0582206370

30. mohamed ali

September 26, 2016 at 3:09 PM

iam graduated high school in somalia and I have grade A

31. mohamed ali

September 26, 2016 at 3:13 PM

my name is Mohamed Ali ahmed olive in somalia I graduated high school level and ilave grade A I need to get scholarship because of I haven’t to pay fee or bill you can contact me 2520907248006 and also mankayare143@gmail.com your are faithfully Mohamed ali

32. Tesfaye Adugna

September 29, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Dear Sir. First I Would Like to say thank u for offering us such a valuable and critical education related to the leadership for developing countries of Africa.I would to be part of this great chance in that i was graduated from Jimma University with BA Accounting. My cell Phone Adress.251939351534/0921091566. With Regard.

33. Marko Aguer Dut Ben

October 21, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Dear Sir/madam My Name is Marko Aguer Dut from South Sudan, sincerely I am a student of senior three and aged 38, it seam I became over age now for more study, I delay for study due to the civil war between Sudan and South Sudan which had devastated the whole Areas of South Sudan that could not allow young people for studies, after the independent we were hoping but political did not gave a ground for conducive study in which i resort in assisting our young generation to work has a teacher from 2001 to 2015. I would be very please if I am considered in scholarship as a way forward for me to promote my education level. Thanks I will be reach from the followings: wnedutdit@gmail.com +211912683716