Deadline: January 15, 2017
The Bielefeld Graduate School in History and Sociology (BGHS) awards up to six four-month start-up scholarships to international MA graduates who would like to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology, or political science at the BGHS. Recipients receive the opportunity to prepare a persuasive proposal for a dissertation project. Subsequently, they may apply for the doctoral degree programme at the BGHS and/or for scholarships, doctoral positions and funding programmes in Germany or worldwide.
- The scholarships will be awarded for the Summer Term of each year (April 1 until July 31) and include a stipend of EUR 1,200 per month. This amount will be supplemented by an allowance for children if applicable;
- Upon application, travel costs can also be covered by the Graduate School. Moreover, the BGHS will offer a study programme tailored to the particular needs of international MA graduates;
- Scholarship holders will participate in workshops on German academia as well as on writing a project description and will be supported intensively in finding a funding for their research project;
- Frequent exchange with peer researchers, BGHS staff, and professors facilitates guidance and support during these four months. Scholarship holders will also take part in a German or English class at PunktUm.
- Applicants should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in sociology, history, political science, social anthropology or gender studies; applications from related disciplines are welcome;
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply;
- Graduates from abroad who wish to pursue a doctoral degree in history, sociology, anthropology or political science may apply for a start-up scholarship. Applications from pre-doctoral researchers are also welcomed.
- Applicants should speak either German or English fluently;
- Neither German nationals nor foreigners with a tertiary education from a German university may apply (Bildungsinländer/innen);
- The start-up scholarships are meant to further networking with scientists at the BGHS, therefore no prolonged archival or research trips should take place during this period;
- By the end of their stay the candidates present their developed projects to the BGHS community and submit a final report. To ensure that your project fits with the BGHS profile, you should take a close look at the Areas of research covered by the BGHS. Your project should be relatable to those areas.