Applications are invited for Whiter International Fellows and Scholars Program available for US applicants to study abroad (except U.S. or Canada). Fellows (pre-doctoral) go abroad for one academic year (9-12 months) while scholars go abroad for one semester or up two academic years (24 months). This program sends young Biomedical Engineers, anywhere outside the U.S. or Canada for conducting academic or scientific research in a university or laboratory or pursuing coursework at an academic institution.
Level: Scholarships are available for conducting academic or scientific research in a university or laboratory or pursuing coursework at an academic institution.
Field(s): Biomedical Engineering.
Deadline: by the third Tuesday in January
Funded By: Institute of International Education
Award No: 50 Fellow and Scholar Grants as well as 25 summer grants will be awarded.
‣ Scholarship Duration: Fellows go abroad for one academic year (9-12 months). Scholars go abroad for one semester or up two academic years (24 months).
Awards typically begin between August 1st and October 1st, but may begin as early as July 1 of the competition year, and as late as June 30 of the following year.
‣ Scholarship covers: The Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program offers a stipend commensurate with the recipient’s experience and expected expenses in the host country.
Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars Program sends emerging leaders in U.S. biomedical engineering (or bioengineering) overseas to undertake a self-designed project that will enhance their careers within the field.
‣ The goal of the program is to assist the development of professional leaders who are not only superb scientists, but who also will advance the profession through an international outlook. Along with supporting grant projects in an academic setting, the Whitaker International Program encourages grantees to engage in policy work and propose projects in an industry setting.
Whitaker International Fellows and Scholars must meet requirements:
‣ hold a Bachelor’s degree by the beginning date of the grant or
‣ Be in or have recently completed a Master’s degree or
‣ Be in a PhD program or
‣ Be currently employed, with the most recent degree no higher than an MS
Whitaker Scholars (post-doctoral) must meet the the basic eligibility requirements and must: Currently have a PhD (within the past 3 years) or will be awarded the PhD before beginning a Whitaker grant.
‣ Applicants will be notified of decisions by email in early April 2017.
Scholarship Application Method
All applicants should review the detailed instructions on application procedure before beginning the online application.
Applications must be completed and submitted electronically by the third Tuesday in January. This is the “received by” and not the postmarked deadline. All components of the application including online and hard copy materials MUST be RECEIVED by the deadline. The application is submitted online which includes the biographical information, essays, resume, recommendations. Hard copy materials include the letter of support from the overseas host institution and transcripts. The application does not need to be mailed in, only the letter of support and transcripts need to be mailed. Failure to follow submission instructions may disqualify an applicant.
The online application will generate a PDF document automatically, which you will be able to preview. To see what your auto-generated document will look like, click to see a sample PDF (283 KB). Note: you will need Adobe Reader or a similar program to view PDF documents.
Click here for the online application.
The below forms are required components of a complete application, and must be submitted online, except as noted.
*Originals must be submitted in hard copy (please note, original means hard copy that is signed/stamped and not a scanned or emailed version). We can accept these components together or separately. The letter must be in a sealed envelope, signed across the flap by the author; each transcript should be forwarded in the envelope in which it was received from the submitting institution. Mail by the deadline to:
Whitaker International Program
Institute of International Education
809 United Nations Plaza
New York NY 10017