Aalto University is offering scholarships to pursue master degree programme in the field of Business and Economics, Science and Technology, Art and Design for the academic year 2017-2018. Scholarships are awarded to support non-EU/EEA citizens who study in a fee-charging degree programme.
Aalto University specialises in science, art, technology and business. The university has improved markedly in rankings specific to these fields, and places high in the ranking lists. There are between 17 000 and 22 000 universities in the world, about 1 000 in Europe, about 70 in the Nordic Countries, and 14 in Finland.
Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Master degree programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Business and Economics, Science and Technology and Art and Design.
Scholarship Award: Aalto University the tuition fee for master’s programmes is €15 000 per academic year.
- Aalto University has a scholarship programme to support non-EU/EEA citizens who study in a fee-charging degree programme. At Aalto University, the scholarships will be granted in the form of a tuition fee waiver. Scholarships may cover 100 % or 50 % of the tuition fee. The number of scholarships is limited.
- The scholarships do not cover living costs. Students are expected to cover living expenses (app. EUR 800 per month) and other study related costs from their own financial resources.
- Non-EU/EEA citizens who are liable to pay tuition fees can apply for the Aalto University scholarship. The applicant can apply for the Aalto University scholarship at the same time they apply for a Master’s programme with the same application form during the application period. It is not possible to apply for the scholarship after the application period has ended. The scholarship decisions are made on the basis of academic evaluation of the applicants selected to the study programmes. The scholarship decision is given together with the admission decision.
Scholarship can be taken in Finland
Eligibility: The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the scholarship:
- Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration
If you have an appropriate Finnish or non-Finnish university or university of applied sciences degree you may apply directly to a Master’s programme to take the degree of Master of Science in Economics and Business Administration.
You need to apply in one of the two admission groups based on the degree granting eligibility to apply.
- ADMISSION GROUP 1: Applicants with Finnish lower university degree in “Economics and Business Administration”
- ADMISSION GROUP 2: Applicants with Finnish university degree other than in “Economics and Business Administration”, university of applied sciences/polytechnic degree or non-Finnish university or university of applied sciences/polytechnic degree
To be eligible to apply to a Master’s programme or major in the field of Art and Design, you must have completed one of the following degrees:
- Finnish Bachelor’s degree from a Finnish university of applied sciences
- Finnish Bachelor’s degree from a Finnish university
- Finnish Master’s degree from a Finnish university
- Foreign degree from a foreign university or institution, giving eligibility for Master’s level studies in that particular country or
- Other equivalent studies or skills and knowledge
- The application must include officially certified copies of school, work or course certificates which the applicant considers significant for the selection process and which show that the applicant has skills and knowledge in the relevant field equivalent to the above-mentioned degrees. If you apply on the basis of other equivalent studies, your eligibility will be determined by Admission Services in collaboration with the programme’s selection committee.
- Master of Science in Technology or Architecture
Applicants with an appropriate degree from a university or a university of applied sciences may apply directly to a master’s programme in the field of science and technology at Aalto University. Admissions are organized once a year and applications are accepted only during the application period.
Applicants are eligible to apply for master-level studies in the field of science and technology if they have completed:
- A 3–4-year bachelor’s degree from a university or the equivalent education. The degree must entitle the graduate to apply for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in question.
- A polytechnic degree (Finnish university of applied sciences, ammattikorkeakoulu).
- A polytechnic degree in an EU country if the degree entitles the graduate to apply for university-level master’s degree studies in the country in question.
The university has to fulfil the following criteria:
- The university must be an official and recognized part of the national education system.
- The university has to be found on an official list or in an international handbook that is completed by some international organization (e.g. UNESCO).
- A first cycle higher education degree (a bachelor’s degree from a university or a polytechnic) grants eligibility to apply to a master’s programme. It is not possible to apply to a master’s programme on the basis of a master’s degree. The only exceptions are one-tier degree programmes where the first cycle degree is not compulsory or the so-called long cycle degrees. If you have completed or are currently pursuing some other degree in addition to the bachelor’s degree, you can list one additional degree on the application form. A licentiate or doctoral degree (third cycle degrees) do not grant eligibility to apply to master-level studies and they are not to be listed on the application form.
- Admitted students may be required to take complementary studies to gain the knowledge and skills required for the studies.
- In the field of technology at Aalto University, a student may only have one valid study right in a degree programme at any given time. If a student accepts a new study place in a degree programme at the same level (e.g. Master of Science in Technology) the old study right is forfeited.
Nationality: Non-EU/EEA citizens are eligible to apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must have their bachelor’s degree.
Test Requirements: Applicants applying for a right to study towards a degree in an English-taught programme at Aalto University are required to provide an official certificate of their English proficiency. The recognized language tests and their minimum score requirements are listed below.
- IELTS(Academic IELTS only)
- Overall Band Score: 6.5
- Writing Band Score: 5.5
- TOEFL (IBT = Internet Based Test, PBT = Paper Based Test)
- Total score: 92 (IBT), 580 (PBT)
- Writing score: 22 (IBT), 4.0 (PBT)
- CAE/CPE(CAE = Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English, CPE = Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- Pearson Test of English(PTE Academic only)
- Total score: 59
- Writing score: 50
The minimum requirements are very strict. If your score does not fulfil the minimum requirements, you are not eligible to apply and your application cannot be processed. Only the above-mentioned language tests are accepted.
IELTS, TOEFL and PTE results are valid for two years starting from the test date. Thus the oldest acceptable test date during the 2017 application period is 15 December 2014. The CAE and CPE results do not have an expiration date.
English Language Requirements: A language proficiency test is not required from the following applicants:
- Applicants whose higher education degree and the requisite studies have been taken at
- a university or a polytechnic (university of applied sciences, ammattikorkeakoulu) in Finland in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- a university or a polytechnic in an EU/EEA country in English. In this case, the whole degree must be completed in English. The language of the degree must be stated in the degree certificate or its appendix, or in the transcript of records or other official documents, such as diploma supplement, issued by the higher education institution in question.
- an English-medium programme requiring physical on-site presence at a university in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or the United States.
- If the degree includes studies from some other institution, the studies must also have been taken in English in a country and institution where the completed studies exempt the student from taking an English language test. However, this does not apply to degree studies completed during a student exchange.
- Applicants who have attended Aalto University as an exchange student in the field of technology (in which case an Aalto University transcript of records or certificate of student status required);
- Citizens of EU/EEA countries from a partner university under an agreement with an Aalto University school of technology (Erasmus partners, Cluster, NordTek, Nordic5Tech or some other official partner university in student exchange). Applicants whose official transcript of records does not contain language studies in English shall provide certificates from their home universities showing sufficient language proficiency.
How to Apply: An application consists of the application form which needs to be filled out and submitted online, as well as the printed and signed cover letter, a set of compulsory documents listed here, and additional documents if they are required by the study options you are applying for. You can fill in the application form in the application system during the application period (15 December 2016 – 25 January 2017 3 pm). You can print the cover letter once you have filled in, saved and submitted the application form in the application system. Please read the instructions for applying and the programme-specific evaluation criteria very carefully before filling in the application form or submitting any documents.
Make sure to deliver all the documents you wish to be taken into consideration in the application process within the application period. Documents delivered after the given deadline cannot be taken into consideration in the evaluation of the application. Applicants will not be requested to supplement the application with programme-specific, additional documents.
- An officially attested copy of an official Bachelor’s degree certificate/diploma
- Authorised translation of the degree certificate/diploma
- An official transcript of records
- Authorised translation of the transcript of records
- Copy of passport or an official identification indicating the citizenship of the applicant
- A demonstration of language proficiency, i.e. language test scores
Application Deadline: Scholarship application deadline is January 25, 2017.